Saturday, March 19, 2011

Christchurch Earthquake Relief Journal (Day 14)

Another crew from New Zealand was briefed this morning to cover the weekend shifts. They were divided into what we are calling "Flying Squads" to follow-up the contacts made during the week. They take the referrals made by the rapid assessments of the door knock teams and spend more concentrated time with people providing financial, practical and emotional support.

I love hearing their stories during our daily debrief sessions of the impact being made, not only upon the lives of those we are assisting, but those who are providing the assistance. We come together as strangers and leave as friends with a shared experience that has changed each of our lives. Something happens deep within your spirit when you journey with people through times of suffering and survival.

Although I am feeling pretty tired after two weeks of long days pouring out physical and emotional energy, I am strangely energised by the knowledge that our presence really matters to the people of this city. I walked into McDonald's in Riccarton tonight to wind down and was greeted by the the guy serving in the cafe, "Long black mate?" (I have already filled two coffee cards LOL). When I tried to pay, he just thanked me again for serving the people of his city and politely declined my money. It goes way beyond a "Thank God for the Salvos" mentality, but extends from a heart that has embraced us as brothers and sisters in thier time of need. I've said it before, but I am humbled and honoured by the grace that is shown to us daily by everyone we meet.

We welcome another team of Aussies from both territories tomorrow. I'm looking forward to meeting them at the airport and embarking on another extraordinary week of ministry in Christchurch.

No comments:

Post a Comment