Saturday, October 1, 2022

Solomon Islands District - Renewal Campaign (West Kwara'ae & Fataleka)

Report written by Envoy Alick Hagi...

As the District geared up for the ‘Called to be a Soldier’ renewal campaign there were lots of disrupting factors. The first being the delay in receiving our grant for travelling and second the delay of ‘Called to be a Soldier’ books arriving on time.

My trip to Rauai had two purposes; first to respond to a leadership crisis in the congregation and the second to conduct the renewal campaign. Given the importance of this trip, I had to travel despite the delay of the books and recommitment cards. So, as soon as the grant hit our account, I was the first to take off to Malaita Province and up to Rauai. I arrived in Auki on 15th August 2022, but the truck that travel to Rauai was overloaded so I was not able to board. I slept overnight at Kwainaketo with one of our youth from Honiara Corps who was in Malaita. The very next day we came back to Auki by taxi to catch the vehicle that travels to Rauai. We got there early so we could get a proper seat. We got off at Anokelo village and some youth from Rauai were there to meet us. They wore their Salvation Army blue t-shirt and carried our bags and goods up to Rauai. It was almost an hour walk from Anokelo to Rauai.

In the evening of Tuesday 16th August 2022, I got all the Rauai congregation in the common meeting hall and confirmed the congregations’ commitment to remain a part of The Salvation Army, due to some recent unrest in the village. Their response was we are The Salvation Army church! Then on Wednesday, 17th August 2022, before I walk to Ngalifalisi with elder Kemuel, John Misitana, Pastor Clifton Siau and my wife Esther; Alban Oba came and asked if I could wait for another day. I said no, I want us to go and check the soldiers at Ngalifalisi. It was almost 5 km of walking. We got to Ngalifalisi at Seth Misitana’s house where they use to have worship. I went through the soldiers list and found that only five soldiers remained, with all others having moved out elsewhere and some to Honiara. I asked Seth’s son who keeps the house because his father went to Honiara. He is not a soldier, but I wanted to find what his thoughts were concerning The Salvation Army. He was very supportive but because his Father and Alban did not cooperate together, he and others in the community just hold back. I only find that his daughter Grima Kosi is the only faithful soldier that can walk to Rauai every Sunday to attend worship. I asked his father what if her daughter does the fellowship for them? He said it is ok and I encouraged him to support his daughter.

On Sunday, 21st August 2022 we had a reconciliation service between the church leaders and the congregation. It was an emotional time as they now feel delivered from the bondage that held them captive. This event happened after I had discussions and did the ‘Called to be a Soldier’ session, where I stressed The Salvation Army’s practice, attitude and behavior. The session helped them understand what it means to be a Soldier in The Salvation Army. The service concluded and we all went to have lunch and then came back to the church and continued with our sessions 8,9 & 10. We started our after-lunch session and I had the privilege to enroll four Junior Soldiers. Then after the enrollment, I divided the church into two groups for discussion and presentation of what they learned from the sessions.

After completing the Rauai ‘Called to be a Soldier’, I left Rauai for Ramah on Wednesday, 24th August 2022 on a north road public transport. I waited for Auxiliary Captain Wency to arrive on Thursday, 25th August before going down to Ramah to collect the commitment cards. Upon arriving at Ramah, I was met by the community elder Martin Lagwai and told him that we would have our sessions in the evenings. Our first session started with the message from General Brian Peddle, then the forward content. Then I went straight into chapters 1, 2, 3 & 4. This was Thursday, 25th August 2022 in the evening. On Friday, 26th August 2022 I did another four chapters 5, 6, 7 & 8 and Saturday Evening I completed the final chapters 9, 10, 11 & 12. I was very excited that I completed the ‘Called to be a Soldier’ for Ramah in only three days and presented their commitment cards. There were only ten that received the commitment cards.

On Monday I went up to my father-in-law place and had a rest while waiting to get back to Rauai on the weekend of 3rd September 2022 for the certificate presentation. I spent 5 days waiting to return back to Rauai on 3rd September 2022 just to present their commitment cards. It was a great time of celebration because two weeks ago there was a reconciliation and now I am back to present them their commitment cards. Grima Kosi, the only faithful Soldier from Ngalifalisi, always walks 4 km to Rauai for Sunday worship. She came with her younger brother who is interested to become a Junior Soldier. She received her card from congregation leader Pastor Clifton Siau. I encouraged Grima Kosi to do house fellowship with the family. Her Father is very supportive of The Salvation Army and so her first Sunday, 28th August 2022, she had seven in attendance.


I presented the recommitment cards to the Soldiers who attended the 12 sessions of ‘Called to be a Soldier’. Rauai had a total of 53 soldiers, but only 28 in total received their recommitment card, as the others had gone to Honiara.

No comments:

Post a Comment